. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Sunday, June 9, 2013

day planner

I've been meaning to do something with this for awhile now, and Friday Finds suddenly seemed to be the perfect impetus.

Here is the photo my brother Greg sent me from his iPhone one Sunday evening a couple months ago, after phoning me excitedly from his garage to tell me of the unexpected treasure he had just 'unearthed.'



Laid out there in the bed of Greg's old pickup truck was a piece of Dad's history: his old briefcase and his day planners from 1970 thru 1975. You see, in preparing the family home for sale Mom had put Greg in charge of dealing with all Dad's law office stuff - shredding or saving old documents as appropriate. This brief case was found up on the rafters in our garage.

Greg knew I would be just as excited as he was at his discovery. He was right. Mom had put me in charge of dealing with family photos and memorabilia.

Here's what I did with it the other day:


I paired the day planners with a favorite photo of Dad, taken about the same time period, which Mom continues to carry in her wallet, describing it thus:

"It looks like he just got the better of somebody
and he's waiting for them to figure it out."

I added an old pen of Dad's...he always had a collection of nice ballpoint pens, and for most of his 50 year career he wrote everything long-hand. Dad had the most elegant handwriting I've ever seen!


Thank you for this, Greg!

xoxo
'Squid'

***


Linking up with Friday Finds, and Beyond Beyond - where we've been playing with Curves and Levels to get the effect of the popular Instagram 'Rise' preset. I thought it would be perfect for that 70's feel. And you know what? I think this is representative of my style (if ever I could be nailed down to just one!)...something else Kim has been talking about lately.

I did try both of Kim's recipes, and ended up with the Levels method for these particular images, as they had not much color to play with. Then I added a touch of kk_magictexture2bl (Overlay blend mode - 14%)

13 comments:

  1. Wow! My excitement level kept rising as I read underneath each photo how, or where, or when about the image. This is simply awesome Cindy! I love your style! I love the fact you and your brother have two separate roles in helping your mom, and I love your photos and stories. A heartwarming post! And God bless you for sharing your talents in so many ways. Such a gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beverly!

      It's so heartening when someone like you "gets it."

      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Oh Cindy...what a neat tribute! You and I could share coffee/tea and talk the afternoon away about our dads. And other common threads we share. Beautiful photos... My mind has been rolling about how to do a still with my dad's old navy dog tags...more to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've sensed that too! Can't wait to see the dog tags...

      xoxo

      Delete
  3. "It looks like he just got the better of somebody and he's waiting for them to figure it out." Ahahahahaha! That is so my Bobi Aldo in one sentence.

    A beautiful photo of a really cool find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there sweet Poet Girl!

      Glad you stopped by. Say,if you think of it, could you send me a couple pix of you in Bobi's wonderful hat? And maybe some words with it too? That's gotta be one of my favorite family heirloom memories.

      xoxo

      Delete
  4. I love how kept the editing to feel as tho it shot in the 70's. I enjoyed reading the story this find and your preservation of the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dad does have a kind of smirk to his smile in that photo. What an awesome find, and how fortunate that your brother appreciates it as much as you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Dad had an almost magnetic personality. In a way he was almost larger than life to me even tho we were always very close.

      xoxo

      Delete
  6. Oh man! What a blessing! I love that smirk. Reminds me of a pic of my dad. Now you've got me to thinking.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you just love those incidental pictures that just happen to catch a person's character. That's why Mom loves this picture.

      xoxo

      Delete
  7. “...shredding or saving old documents as appropriate.” – Lucky your dad was spared of doing this himself. I always feel like picking out documents to save and to shred is a big sacrifice, especially for very personal medium, like that of a planner. And I agree, his penmanship is so fine. :) Ruby @Williams Data Management

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has been quite a process: what to save, what to toss. The heart wants to save and treasure everything. Not practical though.

      xoxo

      Delete