. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Friday, October 5, 2012

legacy

This is actually a re-post. Which means I accidentally deleted an old post by "cleaning up" my drafts folder.
You know how that goes...


This weekend, as we remember Dad (has it really been a year since he's gone?) I want to honor his memory by sharing this piece. It kinda combines three of Dad's passions:

Art
Law
Family



I made this for my brother, Greg, in the summer of 2011, on the occasion of his moving downtown to a new office. Greg and Dad practiced law together for almost 15 years, up until Dad retired in 1999. In Greg's own words, "the time we practiced law together was the best time I ever had with Dad."


It all started with this portrait photo, which was taken several years ago, and is a family favorite. I've had this photo on display in my home for years, and it warms my heart each time I set eyes on it.

I played with the original color photo in Photoshop Elements, changing it to b&w to sort of neutralize the color so that I could would not be limited in my color choices. I printed it and glued it to chipboard, then distressed it with sandpaper, rubbed some ink into it, and roughed up the edges with my Dremel. I then layered it with tea-dyed scrim and "aged" bits of silk leaves in an old AOL CD tin, which I sanded, hammered, heated, rusted and generally abused til it looked just right. Same with the silver colored "bolo" which I cut in half and placed behind the tin along with some vintage lace and a scrap of upholstery fabric.






I was inspired by mixed media artist, Joanna Pierotti, in an online class I took with her over a year ago. When I saw her work, it was one of those "I want to do that too!" moments. I also was able to draw upon some of the aging, distressing and embellishing techniques I learned in a fabulous weekend workshop I attended two years ago, with another amazing artist, Australian Judy Wilkenfeld.

I am quite likely repeating myself here...this blog is a way for me to share my art with family and friends...just like I used to do with Dad, who was always very supportive of my artistic endeavors, and fascinated by the many techniques and media I've played with over the years. While he never did see this piece, I know he would have loved it.

I can hear him now..."how did you do that?"

xoxo
Cindy



No comments:

Post a Comment