. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

cash for junk

Kim's challenge this week for our Beyond Layers class was almost - well, beyond me. It wasn't until a couple days later, when I had shelved the idea...fortunately not too far in the back of my mind, that I found my subject. That's usually how it works for me.

The assignment was simply this: bring the indoors outside, and shoot something with that in mind. Well, I have driven past this little second hand store hundreds of times over the years, and have often thought that I should stop and do a photo shoot. There is always an interesting, random collection of odd things on display in the parking lot out in front; some you might even call "antiques."


I had found my assigned subject matter! It dawned on me as I was spinning at the gym early last Friday morning while studying photographer David Duchemin's book Within the Frame. He was talking about shooting on location, and capturing how the place feels to you, as opposed to just recording what it looked like. With only my cellphone camera on me, I decided right then and there to stop on my way home and shoot as many photos as I could before rushing off to work. There was a blanket of fresh snow on everything, heightening the drama of these "relics" which now exist out of context...exposed to the elements. What I felt was the rather forlorn quality of a place where the personal possessions of assorted nameless people - quite likely gone from this earth - are unceremoniously dumped onto the pavement, to be sold to some sharp-eyed, thrifty shopper.


I don't have anything against thrift stores or antique malls, having frequented them myself in years past, both to buy and/or drop off something. But with the recent passing of my father, and the heart-rending but necessary distribution of his possessions, I feel a little bit saddened by this sight. Dad (the ever-pragmatic lawyer, who handled many estates over the years, and himself an avid antique collector) would be the first to tell me that this is all just an inescapable part of life.


All of this has, in recent months, caused me to re-evaluate my own state of affairs, so to speak; I can't help but think about what will happen to my things one day. These ruminations have unexpectedly influenced my recent creative endeavors: what used to put me off about digital art was that you couldn't touch it...it existed only on your hard drive or on some blog server somewhere. For many years I have felt the need to make a tangible creation. Now when I ponder creating something I can't seem to avoid thinking, "What am I going to do with this when I finish it?" At least a digital file it won't end up in some thrift store or tucked into a box on a shelf.


all photos shot with my Samsung 4G cellphone

The best things in life aren't things.

***
I emailed the pix to myself and saved them to my hard drive, then did some basic photo editing in Lightroom. I applied a RadLab filter - 60's Beach Recipe - before moving on into Photoshop, where I applied two texture layers (kk_crackerjack/Multiply 60% and kk_mary/Soft Light 50%) and then a Photo Filter (Cooling Filter #80/Normal 100%).

Linking up with Beyond Beyond and Texture Tuesday.

xoxo
Cindy


8 comments:

  1. I love your idea you came up with and am so glad that you just did it. Wise words too. It is true I look at all my "junk" in the storage room and think do I really want to leave this for Mallory to have to go through some day. I started cleaning out some of my old scrapbook supplies and am donating them to a group that works with autistic students. Many of the girls are very crafty, so I know that supplies will be used instead of sitting in drawers in my storage room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. We can either face up to the inevitable reality of material possessions...or not. I would rather have some say in it.

      xoxo

      Delete
  2. this is such an interesting and thought provoking post. Just this week this was the subject of conversation with girlfriends at our monthly luncheon. You raised some excellent points and I am going to forward them this link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughtful comment. I see that I am not the only one who "feels" this situation. I am glad you are sharing this with your friends.

      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Interesting post Cindy again back to the idea of memory keeping. I so agree with you my late Mother in Law who died 4 years ago started to downsize and even though after she died we still had the sad task of going through her belongings it was so much easier ..... I love digital work because if you want a pysical piece you can print it or have a book made....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting how some things never change - end of life downsizing - and some things are subject to technology - digital vs "real" art. Both concepts give me much food for thought.

      xoxo

      Delete
  4. I can relate to your words. With my mom ageing, I have the same thoughts than you about her belongings, all the things she has treasured and will be consider to be "unuseful" some day... so sad. Well, time will say. I also used to make tangible art like collages but lately, I am too lazy (or too busy) to display all the materials and create something, so I take my camera or come to the computer to do something creative either with my photos or other materials and I love it... even so, I miss to touch things with my own two hands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughtful comment. I know how you feel about tangible art versus the camera/computer.

      xoxo

      Delete