. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Monday, April 1, 2013

redemption & resurrection


In my world, blogging takes a back seat to everyday life, so sometimes a post will appear to be a bit 'behind the times.' Ideally this would have been posted in time to greet the world early on Easter morning. In reality, here's how it came about:
  1. I made the photo Saturday afternoon while on an impromptu little hike with my daughters in the foothills just west of Denver. I was trying out my new camera for the first time - a full frame Canon 6D. We ventured to a place we used to hike when they were little: Matthews Winters Park and encountered a tiny 19th century cemetery.
  2. I played with the image on and off all day Sunday - while pondering the significance of Easter - in between a fabulous bike ride with my husband and preparing Easter dinner.
  3. I was too tired to finish it up last night...so here I am Monday morning, sitting at the computer before I head off to work.

The prayer - an acclamation of the Catholic 'mystery of faith' - is said immediately after the consecration of bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ, acknowledging the reality of His death and proclaiming our faith that He is alive and that He will come again.

Linking up with Beyond Beyond and Texture Tuesday...just playing, as Kim suggested this week. Springtime in the foothills/plains of Colorado can be quite dry, with only a hint of growth and new life. I really struggled with the color - or lack thereof - with this image, and even toyed with converting it to b&w, but that didn't fit my vision for this photo. So I played with it in Lightroom to bring out the subtle browns and greens, then, in desperation, applied a combination of Rad Lab filters (Flora, Antique Tone, Boutwell Magic Glasses II, EZ-Burn 2...each tweaked as needed), which seemed to do the trick. Then into Photoshop, where I applied Kim's BeStill and ChalkMagic textures, and a bit of text (University Roman font).

It was not a very efficient process, but that's how I roll.

And anyway, who said that the creative process is an efficient one?

xoxo
Cindy



13 comments:

  1. I was struggling this weekend with lack of color while we were on a hike, but like you made the best of it. The creative process is what you want it to be and it only matters if you are happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Gotta work with what I have...and Colorado is certainly a place of varied beauty.
      And yes, playing with the camera and tinkering with the images is FUN!

      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Oh I'm struggling too. I think we are impatient for the warmer days to arrive, here in the UK we are having abnormal cold temperatures for the time of the year....a beautiful image ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring doesn't come easily, does it? It's never quite what is pictured in our mind...sometimes you gotta really search for any sign of it. Makes it all the more precious, eh?

      xoxo

      Delete
  3. I love the beauty of that old rugged cross. Great image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now why didn't I think of that for a title? Bless you!

      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Love the processing on this, Cindy. I appreciate the whole story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a smooth road...but that's how I roll! The memories of this "photo shoot" with my daughters in tow are precious indeed. There's another shot I am working on...Stay tuned!

      xoxo

      Delete
  5. This was wonderful! I love your image and the starkness of it all. Creativity can never be forced...you just have to continue to show up. I try to do some creative work every day. It may not show up in a post in a blog or on Flickr. I loved your entire post!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of my best stuff comes from deep inside me...sometimes what is swirling around there manages to surface, almost without me realizing it at the time.

      Thanks!

      xoxo

      Delete
  6. Wonderful photograph. Nicely done.

    Earl

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad to have found your blog. I love the editing on the shot but I also love that you were with your girls on a hike reflecting on our risen Lord.

    I look forward to more visits.....

    ReplyDelete