. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

if a tree falls in a forest...?


This is the first assignment for a new online class I am taking: Reflection of You: Behind the Scenes, taught by Kim Klassen and Xanthe Berkeley. 
Why do you love to blog? Why do you like to share?…ask yourself whatever WHY question comes to you…
So I often find myself asking, "What’s the point of making art, making a statement, if no one else sees it?"  True, I make art because I enjoy the process, but unless I share my art with others, it seems kind of pointless. Empty.  As in "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

I have enjoyed visiting the blogs of other artists for the past few years. Initially, it was a way for me to see and be inspired by their artwork. Stephanie Lee, Rebecca Sower, Ali Edwards, Nina Bagley, Deryn Mentock, Judy Wilkenfeld…whomever I happen to be following at the time. My favorite blogs are a work of art in their own right. I found that I also enjoy reading what these artists write…the who, what, when, where and why behind their creative endeavors. I can relate to much of what they have shared. Their art is inextricably linked to their life….and so it is with me: make art about what you know and love. And then share it with people.

My hope is that this blog will enable me to share my creative passion with family and friends...and maybe some kindred spirits out there, too.



3 comments:

  1. The desire to share one's art is why I started blogging in college. It's true that I write it for myself, without a specific readership in mind. So it doesn't really matter to me who reads my poetry, as long as it is out there to be read.

    The act of creating art is fulfilling for the artist, but the act of consuming art is in its own way equally fulfilling. The only art I know how to create is poetry (which I once heard referred to as "the lowest form of art") so I find that I need to consume the work of other artists in other forms. I wish I could paint or sculpt or dance, but as I cannot do these things I hunt for those who can.

    Art is not just for artists. Everyone needs it, even if they "can't" create it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on, love! You've given me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete